We hope you are all having a great summer!
We are always striving to improve things at the Castle and we would like to take this opportunity to let you know about some exciting changes taking place here over the next month!
As you know over the last year we have added a fantastic 10FT projector screen and 2 large TV’s on which to show Sky Sports and BT Sport in the pool hall. Well, upstairs at the Castle will be revamped even further this summer!
- New and improved bar in the pool hall!!
- Brand new seating area in front of the big screen, making the Castle the best place to watch live sport in Brighton.
- 2 more large TV’s.
- Both toilets will be completely refurbished.
- 2 BRAND NEW 9 FOOT AMERICAN POOL TABLES
- And perhaps the most exciting news…….. the whole club will now be AIR CONDITIONED!!
In order for the work to take place, the club will have to close between the 5th July and the 12th July.
While we are always trying to keep our prices down, all this work does mean that we will have to slightly increase the cost of our tables by 50p per hour.
From 13th July the prices will be as follows:
- 10am until 5pm: Snooker and Pool will be £5.50 p/h (solo rate will be £3.30 p/h)
- 5pm until close £7 p/h
- All match tables will remain the same at £9 p/h
Castle Snooker and Leisure Club.
The Snooker Summer Singles League returns this year so if you are missing the competitive action of the snooker league and Castle Tournaments then this is definitely for you!!
- The 2 divisions will be split up dependent on handicaps, with the lower handicapped players in Division One and the higher handicap players in Div. 2.
- Their will be up to 12 players in each division.
- Each match will be 5 frames long, with a league point being awarded for each frame won.
- There will also be a bonus point awarded winning a match so for example: if the result is Player A 3 -2 Player B, then Player A will will get 4 points in the league to Player B’s 2 points.
- The first fixtures will be held on Tuesday 6th June (Division One) and Wednesday 7th June (Division Two) and will run on the same days for the subsequent 11 weeks. If you are unable to play a fixture you must inform the Club as well as your opponent and arrange to play it on another day, if you fail to do this then all points will be awarded to the opposing player.
- Players will split the cost of the table light for each match.
ENTRY AND PRIZE MONEY
- Entry will cost £40 with all entry money going into the prize pot which will be paid out as follows: Winner – £200, Runner-up – £100, 3rd – £60, 4th – £50, 5th – £40, 6th – £30.
- To register please go online and register here or pay at the Club or over the phone on 01273382246.
- SPACES ARE LIMITED SO PLEASE ENTER EARLY TO AVOID DISAPPOINTMENT.
It’s time for the ALL SUSSEX HANDICAP CHAMPIONSHIP 2017!
SATURDAY 18TH FEBRUARY, 10AM START!!
As well as an scratch tournament we are hosting a handicapped event to give everyone a chance at being a County Champion.
The entry requirements are that you:
– Live in East or West Sussex
– and/or are registered as a member of a snooker club in East or West Sussex
– and/or play in a league in East or West Sussex
– and have not played another county’s event in the last 12 months
There are a maximum of 64 entries so please make sure you enter beforehand to avoid disappointment, also PLEASE DO NOT SAY YOU ARE GOING ON FACEBOOK IF YOU ARE NOT!! You can also enter in person at the Club or by phone on 01273382246. Payment can be made on the day or when entering beforehand.
There will be spaces available on the day providing that it is not full!
IF YOU DO NOT ALREADY HAVE A CASTLE CLUB HANDICAP PLEASE CALL THE CLUB BEFOREHAND TO SAVE US SOME TIME ON THE DAY!
ENTRY FEE: £20
ALL ENTRY MONEY GOES INTO THE PRIZE POT AND AS LONG AS WE GET A MINIMUM OF 30 ENTRIES THE WINNER WILL RECIEVE £500 WITH THE RUNNER UP GETTING £100.
THERE IS ALSO NO FEE FOR THE TABLE LIGHT.
PLEASE INVITE ANYONE YOU THINK MAY BE INTERESTED!
MONDAY TO FRIDAY
10AM UNTIL 1AM
(NO ADMITTANCE AFTER MIDNIGHT)
SATURDAY AND SUNDAY
10AM UNTIL 11PM
First of all, everyone at the Castle would like to wish all of our members a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year and say a big thank you for your support and custom over the last 12 months!
It has been a great year for us at the Club, since we took over in 2014 the Club has gone from strength to strength. We have continued to make improvements this year with the addition of Sky Sports and a really cool MASSIVE screen as well as giving areas of the Club a bit of a makeover.
As the only place left in Brighton with such as significant amount of pool and snooker tables we feel it very important that we keep the game growing in the area and are pleased to say that this is definitely the case as we are seeing new faces in the club every day!
As for next year, there are many further improvements that we wish to make at the Club such as adding more screens upstairs as well as giving both bar areas a revamp! Sadly, the improvements that we wish to make have meant that we have had to increase cost of membership to £15 per year. We understand that this is quite an increase however we promise that this money will be used to invest in the Club and will mean that your experience of being here is even better as well as getting access to table booking as well as entry into any of our competitions!
Hope you all have a fantastic weekend!
Happy new year from everyone at the Castle!!!
We will be open normal hours except for the following days:
Christmas Eve – 11am until 8pm
Christmas Day – CLOSED
Boxing Day – CLOSED
New Years Eve – 10am until 6pm
New Years Day – CLOSED
To celebrate Christmas, on Wednesday 21st December we are having some festive fun at the Castle!
There will be free mulled wine and mince pies for everyone as well as half price snooker and pool all day!!!
From 7pm onwards we will also be holding a variety of fun competitions such as how quick can you clear the colours, as well as games of killer and a single frame shootout tournament!
We hope to see you all down here!
Tasty treats supplied daily from Canham’s Delicatessen.
Angus Steak Pie £3.50
Steak, Guinness and Mushroom Pies £3.50
Roast Chicken, Bacon and Mushroom Pie £3.50
Cottage Pie £3.00
Prawn and Salmon Quiche £2.50
Quiche Lorraine £2.50
Beef and Stilton Pasties £2.50
Large Chilli Scotch Eggs £2.25
Large Chocolate Brownies £1.75
Here is an updated proposal for a new format for what is currently Division One in the Brighton and Hove Snooker League. There are various reasons that this would benefit the league however the main ones are:
It would allow for my more participation from League members as currently there are members who are not getting to play as much as they would like due to oversubscribed teams.
The potential for more frames per person would greatly increase the quality and enjoyment of league snooker (This was implemented in the Lewes Snooker Summer League and results suggest that this would definitely be the case).
The rebranding of Division One into the Premier Division would help to invigorate the league as well as give the division extra prestige which would encourage people from lower leagues and outside the league to aspire to be in it.
Each team must be comprised of a minimum of 5 players (to guarantee participation in the Endeavour Cup) and a maximum of 6 players. However, a single player may not play 2 frames for every week of the league season, the permitted number of frames shall not exceed 3/4s of the maximum number of frames available in a league season.
The reason for a maximum of 6 players is that it fits with our purpose of not having players registered that rarely get a game.
The fact that no player can play more than ¾ of the permitted frames is also to make sure that all registered players get to play a decent amount of frames. This however does not mean that a player can not play every week, simply that they would not be able to play 2 frames every week. It is important to note that under this system each player would still have the chance to play more frames than under the current system. If this rule is broken then any ineligible frames will be forfeited and points awarded to the opposing team.
Each match will be 6 frames long with 1 point being awarded for each frame and 1 extra point being awarded for a win.
Each team must have between 3 and 6 present for each match, with each player being able to play a maximum of 2 frames although not consecutively unless agreed by the teams Captains. The reasons for this are:
It helps to prevent teams with fewer players having an advantage over those with more as someone who has just had a frame and are ‘warmed up’ will not face a player straight away who has not yet played.
It also prevents people from spending limited time in the Club they are playing in (i.e. turn up, play and leave). This in turn supports the Clubs by increasing business as people are there for longer.
We also propose that there are individual awards for players as this would reward players for good play and encourage competition. These would be:
Best player award: This would be decided by the committee but would be based on information such as: most wins, best win ratio, highest break and most breaks.
Player’s player award: This would be voted for by the Captains of each team (they can not vote for players from their own team)
This would mean that all player records must be be kept track of throughout the season. The best medium for this is the website and making sure that all match details are uploaded each week.